8th Grade Students and Parents!!
It's time for PCCR (Plan for College and Career Readiness) Meetings! Please view this video for all of the information you'll need! After you've viewed the video with your parents, please fill out this Google Form to receive 20 Hero Points! If you or your parents have any questions, counselors are available virtually from 4-7 pm on December 8th, 10th, 14th, and 16th. You can schedule an appointment on Skyward. If you need help scheduling, please view these instructions.
West Jordan High School will begin offering the International Baccalaureate Program next fall. Through this program, you can graduate with up to 30 college credits. To learn more about this program, please view these flyers for contact information and more!
Tips for Calmness and reducing Anxiety
- Talk openly and honestly about feelings and thoughts, anxiety is rooted in uncertainty about the future. In order to speak honestly about the virus, it’s important to dispel rumors and really stay true to the fact. Check out this data sheet that could help your child understand that we are going to be okay.
- Try not to monitor the news constantly – washing your hands and keeping a safe distance is enough to keep you safe, knowing every case and the latest news will not increase your safety and will likely heighten anxiety.
- Try to focus on the present moment. Anxiety is rooted in uncertainty about the future and by focusing on the present moment through a breathing exercise, savoring a food, noticing a smell. Trying a regular practice of mindfulness will really help reduce anxiety.
- Stay connected – it’s essential that we don’t isolate. Even if we don’t get together in person we should communicate with friends and loved ones as much as possible.
- Try a new hobby, read a book, or play a board game with the … Distraction can be a powerful tool
- Try your other tried and true coping strategies, this isn’t the first time any of us have felt anxiety. It’s normal for every person to feel a little anxious from time to time, how did you get through it before? You may be more of an expert than you think at coping with anxiety because it’s a battle you’ve already won.
Stay healthy and be well!
For in-depth videos with ideas for parents and students check out this page
If you or anyone you know needs help meeting basic needs, please use the QR code or Google Form link to let us know. We want to support our community as best we can!
Counseling Center Staff